Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Miracle of Salvation


This Easter Vigil I will have the privilege of not only witnessing a friend enter the Church, but also sponsor a friend receiving her Confirmation.  How blessed am I?!  When I witness acts of great faith I am reminded of the immeasurable GIFT that has been given to me.  For it is by the grace of God that I have faith.  “Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1

I have done nothing to deserve His love.  “Jesus heard this and said, ‘Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.  I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.’” (Matthew 9: 12, 13b)  In reality I deserve nothing, having done wrong in mind and deed, yet mercy and forgiveness are mine if I only receive them.  Faith is a gift freely given, but it is also a gift that must be freely received.  The Lord God created us with free will.  The will to choose to love and serve Him or the will to ignore or disobey him.  Since He created us, He could have made us love and serve Him.  But without the ability to say no, our yes to Him would mean nothing.  “Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will enter his house and dine with him and he with me.”  (Revelation 3:20)

On Good Friday, our Savior took the sin of the world, all that had been done and all that would be done, and was rejected, beaten, cursed, defiled, and crucified for you and me.  “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.”  (John 3: 16)  All the while knowing that not all would accept Him and even those who accept Him would not follow His teachings.  “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21)  Jesus, while dying, continued to ask for us to be forgiven.  “’Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’” (Luke 23: 34)

But . . . on the third day, “He is not here, for he has been raised just as he said.” (Matthew 28:6) And this is why we rejoice!  We rejoice because He suffered, we rejoice because He died, and we rejoice because He is risen!  He conquered death so that we might have the opportunity to live with him in peace and joy FOREVER! “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you who by the power of God are safeguarded through faith, to a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the final time.” (1 Peter 1: 3-5)

Thank you Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Emmanuel, Morning Star, King of Kings and Lord of Lords for your saving grace.  I pray that my family and I can open our hearts and minds to serve you in this life and persevere to rejoice with you in the next.  Thank you for the miracle and hope of our salvation.  Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment